RELEASE — Due to the developing COVID-19 pandemic, the Township of South Frontenac has decided to enact the following heightened procedures and closures, effective immediately:
- [UPDATED March 17] The Township will be closing its administrative offices in Sydenham at 4432 George Street, and at 2490 Keeley Rd., to the public temporarily, for an indefinite period. While these offices will be closed to the public, most municipal services will continue to be delivered and public communications via telephone and email will remain in place during regular business hours.
- All Municipally owned facilities that are used for recreational purposes will be closed to the public effective immediately. These facilities include, but are not limited to:
o Glendower Hall
o Sydenham Library Community Room
o Princess Anne Community Centre
o Harris Park Hall
o Storrington Centre
o South Frontenac Museum
o All Parks & Fields for the purpose of scheduled events and gatherings.
- All Fire Stations in the Township will be closed to the public, only essential staff and Fire department personnel are permitted to access these buildings.
- The deadline for payment of the Interim Tax bill (originally March 31, 2020) has been extended to April 30, 2020. We are encouraging payments to be made through online banking, by mail or via credit card. Visit our website for more information.
In addition to the above facilities, the following closures have also occurred over the past few days:
- Effective March 16, 2020, the Frontenac Community Arena Board of Directors made the decision to close the arena for the remainder of the season. Notice available on their website.
- The Kingston Frontenac Public Library made the decision to temporarily close all library branches from Monday, March 16 through Sunday, April 5, 2020. Additional information available on their website.
Building and Planning Services [Added March 17]
- Effective Wednesday, March 17, 2020 at 4:30 pm, the Planning and Building department will no longer be receiving the public in person, but will continue to accept communications via email, phone and online intake form on our website.
- The Township remains in regular contact with our partner agencies, including the Conservation Authorities, KFL&A Public Health, and Provincial Ministries regarding their role in the processing of development applications. Changes in agency operations means the Township may have limited ability to process some applications.
- Building and Planning staff will remain available to respond to inquiries and assist in the processing of applications via phone and email. Pre-consultation meetings will continue to be scheduled but will occur via telephone. Customers are strongly encouraged to utilize the in-take forms on the Township website to initiate these inquires.
- Alternative arrangements for submission of building permit applications and payment of fees are currently being explored. Information will be made available when these arrangements have been finalized.
- South Frontenac Building Inspectors will continue to conduct inspections, but will be following a new inspection protocol given current social distancing recommendations. These changes include: Building Inspectors will not enter occupied buildings, Inspectors will not engage in interpersonal contact at sites, Prior to attending sites, staff will inquire if any persons on the site or related to the site are exhibiting symptoms associated with the COVID-19 virus have been exposed to a probable case of the virus, or are in self-isolation.
Additionally, please continue to reduce potential spread of the virus by practicing the following:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just washed your hands with soap
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hands
- If possible, stay home if you are sick – If possible, stay home from work/school if sick (as always, if any concerns, seek medical attention)
- Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
- Do not share personal items that come into contact with saliva such as toothbrushes, eating utensils, drinks, water bottles, and towels
Township of South Frontenac staff will be monitoring the COVID-19 situation as it evolves and make decisions about the length of closures as more information becomes available. Your patience and cooperation during this time is greatly appreciated. Please visit our website for additional information and updates.
Release: Township of South Frontenac – Sydenham, Ontario
UPDATED March 17
Map source: Google