KINGSTON, ONT. / Sept. 1, 2010 – Two new Kingston Transit routes, aimed at delivering riders to their destinations more efficiently, will be on the road on Tuesday, Sept. 7.
Route 7 is a new east/west route that connects Gardiners/Midland to Division/Dalton along Princess Street and John Counter Boulevard and will provide all-day service to:
– the INVISTA Centre on Gardiners Road
– major retailers on Midland Avenue
– the Cataraqui Town Centre
– points along the outer Princess Street corridor past several major employers
– points along John Counter Boulevard, including the bus and train stations
– the new shopping corridor along Dalton Avenue
– the Clyde Industrial Park
Route 18 provides a direct connection from the downtown, Queen’s University and St. Lawrence College areas to the Via Rail train and Coach Canada bus stations. This route is perfect for students and travelers who need to get in and out of town.
“These new routes are part of an ongoing effort to provide optimum transit service to Kingstonians,” says Sheila Kidd, Director of Transportation. She notes that the destinations connected by these routes were identified as priorities by riders during a December 2009 public consultation that included a workshop with Professor Jeff Casello of the Waterloo Public Transit Institute. More Kingston Transit service improvements are being explored as part of a five-year capital plan.
For more on Kingston Transit’s transition to the new routes go to www.cityofkingston.ca/newroutes .
PLAN TO GET THERE BY BUS
Those who wish to test-drive the new routes – or who are new to Kingston Transit – will now find it easier than ever to plan to get to their destinations by bus. Thanks to a partnership between the City and Google, anytime a Kingston destination is requested via Google Maps, users will be offered up a trip plan based on the same up-to-date information available on the My Trip Planner.
1. Go to maps.google.ca on your computer or smartphone
2. Select ‘Get Directions’ and then click on the Public Transit icon
3. Enter your trip information and click on ‘Get Directions’
Trip plan information is also available from the My Trip Planner at www.cityofkingston.ca/tripplanner or by calling Customer Service at 613-546-0000 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).