RELEASE — City of Kingston and Utilities Kingston services and facilities will be affected by the holidays as outlined below.
Christmas and New Year’s Holiday Green Bin, Garbage and Recycling Schedule
There is no collection day changes because of seasonal holidays. Please place your garbage, recycling and green bin out on your normal collection days.
Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC): The recycling depot and yard waste site is Closed Dec. 25 to 27, Jan. 1 and Jan 3. Reduced recycling depot hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. will be in place until at least Jan. 4. The administration office will be closed December 17-Jan 3rd. Real Christmas trees (ornaments and tinsel removed) can be dropped off free-of-charge at KARC, 196 Lappan’s Lane.
Two-Untagged Bag Reminder: Your household can put out two untagged bags or cans of garbage for your first collection day after New Year’s Day (the two-bag collection days are Jan. 3-7).
Never Miss Collection Day: Go to CityofKingston.ca/Collection to sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. They keep track of holiday changes for you. The City also offers a FREE “Kingston Waste” app for use on your Apple or Android device.
Kingston Transit Schedule
Plan your bus trip at kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Christmas Eve, Dec. 24 – Regular weekday service.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25 – No service.
- Boxing Day, Dec. 26 – Sunday service.
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular service.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No service.
Kingston Access Bus Services Schedule
- Christmas Eve, Dec. 24 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 6 p.m.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25 – No on-road service. Office closed.
- Boxing Day, Dec. 26 – Limited on-road service, 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Office opens 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 6 p.m.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No on-road service. Office closed.
Municipal Office/Facilities Schedules
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street: Closed Dec. 24, 27, 28 and Jan. 3.
- Provincial Offences Court at 362 Montreal St. will be closed from Dec. 24 – 28, reopening on Wednesday, Dec. 29. We will be closed as well on Monday, Jan. 3, 2022.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Customer service and administration offices will be closed Dec. 24 – 28 and Dec. 31 and Jan. 3. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays, prices are off-peak.
- Customers on Time-of-Use electricity pricing will be charged off-peak prices for the electricity commodity portion of the bill on Christmas Day, Boxing Day (observed on Dec. 28) and New Year’s Day. Update: Electricity rate relief will begin Jan. 1.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches: Closed Dec. 24 to 27 and Dec. 31 to Jan. 2.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed from Dec. 24 – 26 inclusive and also closed Jan. 1. Building closes at 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 31
- INVISTA Centre: Closed from Dec. 24 – 26 inclusive and also closed Jan. 1. Fitness Centre closes at 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 31
- Rideau Heights Community Centre and Library: Close as of Dec. 21. The Rideau Heights Library Branch will be open for curbside pick-up 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 21 and 28.
- Cataraqui Community Centre (Kinsmen and Cataraqui rinks): Closed until further notice.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Box Office closes Dec. 24 at 2 p.m. until Jan. 4. Tickets and gift certificates are always available online at kingstongrand.ca . Inquiries related to future rentals should be directed to Dianne Zemba, Manager, Grand Theatre, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 613-546-4291, ext. 1139
- PumpHouse Museum: closed for the season.
- Tett Centre: closed to the public Dec. 24. Check the Tett website for updates
Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds you: NEVER BURN wrapping paper or Christmas trees in your fireplace. They burn too hot and create creosote, which can cause chimney fires.