RELEASE — Water you doing over March Break? The Kingston Frontenac Public Library (KFPL) invites families to enjoy a mix of free activities for children of all ages with the theme Wonderful Water. Starting Monday, March 13, Wonderful Water will feature over 15 unique programs, from art to puppet shows.
“Coming to library programs over the break not only provides fun and engaging activities for children but also encourages a love of learning and exploration for all ages,” said Brianne Peters, Librarian, Children’s Services. “With the Wonderful Water theme, children will have the opportunity to discover the importance of water in our world through hands-on experiences and imaginative play. Plus, it’s all completely free, and there is a mix of virtual, in-person and take-home activities, making Wonderful Water accessible for many families.”
Wonderful Water programming:
- Explore different states of matter by growing salt crystals using the supplies provided in the Salt Crystal Bilingual Take Home Kit for kids ages four to ten. Instructions are in both French and English.
Registration for the kit opens Saturday, March 4. Kits will be available for pickup at designated branches starting Monday, March 13.
- On March 13, Scientists in Situ will host a virtual workshop for kids ages eight to 12. Pick up a free kit from any KFPL branch before the workshop to have fun with soap and water by exploring the chemistry
of bath bombs.
- The Marine Museum invites kids ages six to eight to explore the concepts of buoyancy and the forces that act on watercraft by building their own boats on Tuesday, March 14, at 10:30 a.m. at the Calvin
- Get bubbly at the Isabel Turner Branch on Tuesday, March 14, at 2 p.m., as we create different bubble concoctions.
- Utilities Kingston will offer two water-conservation-themed programs for children on Wednesday, March 15 (ages six and under) and Friday, March 17 (ages six and up). Both programs will be located at the Isabel Turner Branch.
Information inspiring imagination:
- For French and bilingual families, enjoy stories and activities at J’aime les Bateaux! on Thursday, March 15, at 4 p.m.
- Older children are invited to try watercolour art at the Isabel Turner Branch on Thursday, March 16. Kids ages nine and up can experiment with various watercolour techniques using various provided supplies.
- Most activities require registration because of high demand and limited space. Register online at calendar.kfpl.ca or by telephone at any branch and opens on Saturday, March 4, at 9 a.m.
March Break Puppet Show Extravaganza:
The puppets are back! Catch a show at the Isabel Turner Branch on Monday, March 13, at 10:30 a.m., followed by an afternoon show at the Rideau Heights Community Centre at 2:00 p.m. On Tuesday, March 14, find KFPL at the Kingston East Community Centre at 10:30 a.m. and the Central Branch at 2 p.m.
Two shows will be available at the Calvin Park Branch on Wednesday, March 15, at 10:30 and 2 p.m.
The tour’s last stop will be at the Sydenham Branch on Thursday, March 16, at 2 p.m. Some shows require tickets; others are drop-in on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit calendar.kfpl.ca to learn more. Tickets for puppet shows will be available at the venue half an hour before show time, with a limit of six tickets per group.
For more information about March Break activities and the library’s special events, visit the Programs and Events section of the Library’s website at calendar.kfpl.ca or register for a KFPL newsletter.