The Kingston community is invited to take part in “Giveaway Day” this Saturday by putting out reusable items that are no longer wanted so interested neighbours can pick it up to use themselves.
The City is promoting the October 22, 2022 event as one of the ways it is working to help meet its goal to divert household waste from ending up in landfill.
“Giveaway Days are an effective and unique way to reduce waste in Kingston,” said Adam Mueller, Supervisor of Solid Waste. “When you pick up free second-hand items, you not only save them from landfill – you also reduce the greenhouse gas emissions associated with manufacturing new goods and help your neighbours save money.”
You can share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #WasteNotYGK and #YGK.
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want. In previous years, the City has suggested items that include books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
Examples of items not to put out were baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.’
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people’s property: don’t walk on people’s lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE’ and placed at the curb.
- Don’t leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people’s property.
Find these guidelines at CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.