This Saturday is Giveaway Day – that’s the day you are invited to put out reusable items you no longer want for your neighbours who might like them.
Have something special to give away? Share a picture of it using the hashtag #WasteNotYGK.
“Giveaway Day reminds us that any item that is still useful is not garbage. Maybe one of your neighbours can use an item you no longer want. If you need something, you may be able to find it for free on Giveaway Day. Everyone wins when we keep useful items out of landfill,” says Heather Roberts, the City of Kingston’s manager of solid waste.
She invites you to share photos of treasures found on Giveaway Day to #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Days are just one of the ways the City is working to help meet its goal to divert 60 per cent of household waste from landfill by 2018.
Participating in Giveaway Day? Bring in any remaining items at the end of the day as the City will NOT pick them up.
GIVEAWAY DAY GUIDELINES
What to put out:
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
• Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
• Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
• Place items at the curb in front of your home
• Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE’
• Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
• At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
• Respect other people’s property: don’t walk on people’s lawns or gardens.
• Take only the items marked ‘Free’ and placed at the curb.
• Don’t leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people’s property.
These guidelines can also be found at CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway .