With Halloween just a few days away, Kingston Fire & Rescue is offering some fire prevention advice to ensure a fun and safe October 31.
“We know everyone is excited to celebrate Halloween, but one thing that should remain consistent is our attention to fire safety!” said Delbert Blakney, Fire Inspector with KFR. “Halloween is a fun event—let’s keep it that way. Please do your part to ensure we all have a safe and happy October 31.”
According to a KFD release, ensuring safety at home includes using battery-operated lights or glow sticks in decorative paper bags or jack-o-lanterns – never use candles, if at all possible. If you do use a candle, KFR suggest using a tea light in a non-combustible holder and never leave it unattended. Pumpkins with candles should be placed on sturdy tables or surfaces that are not in an area where it could come in contact with costumes, curtains or other combustible materials.
Children and pets should also be kept away from candles. And if you put up holiday lighting, be certain to not overload electrical outlets and always keep exit doors unobstructed.
For trick or treaters, avoid loose clothing to reduce the chance of tripping and to minimize the risk of contact with candles, and try to wear a costume that is both fire retardant and reflective.
Children should be taught to ‘STOP, DROP and ROLL’ should their clothing catch fire with KFR explaining: “STOP immediately, DROP to the ground and cover face, and ROLL over and over to extinguish the flames.” Kids going out on Halloween should also be given a flashlight with fresh batteries or glow sticks and be reminded about traffic safety rules.
Drivers are also reminded to be extra careful on Halloween.