Halloween Safety Tips from Kingston Fire & Rescue

Published on: 2013/10/25 - in Featured Releases

Kingston Fire & Rescue offers the following fire prevention and safety tips to stay safe this Halloween.


Always keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children. Never use candles in decorative paper bags. Always keep children and pets away from candles.

Use battery operated lights or glow sticks in jack-o-lanterns instead of candles. If you must use a candle, use a tea light in a non-combustible holder and never leave them unattended. Place candlelit pumpkins on sturdy tables or surfaces away from areas that may come in contact with costumes, curtains or other combustible materials.

Do not overload electrical outlets with holiday lighting or special effects. Keep exit doors unobstructed.

Test all of your smoke alarms. You are required to have a working smoke alarm on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas.


The best costumes are fire retardant and reflective. Keep costumes short, avoid loose clothing and capes to reduce the chance of tripping and to minimize the risk of contact with candles.

Teach children to STOP, DROP and ROLL should their clothing catch fire: STOP immediately, DROP to the ground and cover face, and ROLL over and over to extinguish the flames.

Give trick-or-treaters a flashlight with fresh batteries or glow sticks and refresh traffic safety rules. Be extra careful when driving and accompany children when they go out trick-or-treating.


Release source: Kingston Fire & Rescue via City of Kingston | PhotoSarah Ackerma (cc)