Fans of the original Ghostbusters films will soon be able to enjoy them on a next generation 4K Ultra HD disc with High Dynamic Range (HDR) from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
Both the Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K Ultra HD releases will go on sale June 7 and will also feature the recent anniversary Blu-rays, bursting with all the bonus materials, including previously released legacy content, commentary and the interactive Slimer Mode.
The movies are two of the first Sony 4K Ultra HD disc releases and were fully restored from the 35mm original camera negatives.
4K Ultra HD features four times the resolution of high definition, along with High Dynamic Range (HDR), which produces brilliant highlights, vibrant colors and greater contrast on compatible displays. The films have also been remixed with Dolby Atmos audio, delivering captivating sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room, including overhead.
Along with the two films, over 50 episodes of the 1980s animated series, The Real Ghostbusters, will be available on DVD July 7 and on Digital, from Ivan Reitman, DiC and Sony Pictures Television.
Ghostbusters was conceived by Dan Aykroyd at his family home just north of Kingston. The original film opened June 8, 1984 in the #1 spot and stayed there for five consecutive weeks, regaining the position two more times as new films briefly dethroned it. The movie went on to earn $229.2 million, making it the highest earning film in 1984.
This summer’s 4K film and animated DVD releases precede the July 15 U.S. premiere of Sony Pictures’ new motion picture, Ghostbusters, from director Paul Feig, starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth.
GHOSTBUSTERS & GHOSTBUSTERS II 4K Ultra HD Releases Include:
- Feature films in 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Dolby Atmos soundtracks (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible)*
- Includes high-def Blu-rays featuring the films and special features
*To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.
GHOSTBUSTERS Blu-ray Special Features:
- Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective – Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 1)
- Poster Art Gallery – Gallery of 1988 artwork
- Ghostbusters Music Video – Ray Parker, Jr.
- Slimer Mode – Picture in Picture and Trivia Track
- Commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis & Joe Medjuck
- 10 Deleted Scenes
- 1984 Featurette
- Cast and Crew Featurette
- SFX Team Featurette
- Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
- Ghostbusters Garage: Ecto-1 Gallery Storyboard Comparisons
GHOSTBUSTERS II Blu-ray Special Features:
- Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond – Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 2)
- Deleted Scenes
- “On Our Own” Music Video – Bobby Brown
- Theatrical Trailers