Carols and Light Orchestra Kingston along with Greater Kingston Chorus will be presenting “a Christmas Cracker of a show featuring the Hallelujah Chorus” on Friday, 13 December at 7:30pm at The Spire.
“Carols & Light” will feature Handel’s masterpiece from “Messiah”, the Hallelujah Chorus, plus twenty-seven favourite, sing-along, Holiday carols and seasonal music.
“Christmas Concerts at ‘The Spire’ with Orchestra Kingston are becoming a Holiday tradition,” says conductor John Palmer, explaining the popularity of these family-friendly, sing-along shows.
This year’s program includes:
- Robert Sheldon’s “A Most Wonderful Christmas” medley (Winter Wonderland, I’ll Be Home for Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year);
- David Wilcox’s, “Carols” medley (The First Noel, O Come All Ye Faithful);
- Leroy Anderson’s “Christmas Festival” medley (Deck The Halls, Jingle Bells, Sleigh Ride);
- Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite” selections (March, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, Dance of the Mirlitons, Arabian Dance, Russian Dance – Trepak); and,
- John Palmer’s “Christmas Past” medley (Carol of the Bells, Es ist Ein Ros’ Entsprungen, Coventry Carol, O Tannenbaum, Here We Come A-wassailing);
- Greater Kingston Chorus medley (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock, Christmas in Killarney, Silver Bells; plus their Secret of Christmas Medley (Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, Silver Bells, Jingle Bells), and of course,
- Handel’s masterpiece from “Messiah”, the Hallelujah Chorus
Tickets to this musical event at The Spire – Sydenham Street United Church at 82 Sydenham Street – are available for $25 ($20 for seniors & students/ free 16 years and under) and can be purchased at Eventbrite, Novel Idea, Tara Foods, Arden Music, orchestrakingston.ca, choir and orchestra members, greaterkingstonchorus.ca, and at the door.
Greater Kingston Chorus has been a chartered Chapter of Sweet Adelines since 1960. Their musicality won them First Place in International competitions in 2010 (Syracuse, N.Y.) and an invitation to The Harmony Classic International Competition in 2017 (Las Vegas). Co-Directors are Andria Coward and Susan Marriott (Napanee).
Orchestra Kingston is a community orchestra where professional musicians perform together with talented amateur players and, under the baton of professional composer, musician, and founding conductor John Palmer, have developed advanced skills in the orchestral repertoire for over a decade.