Kingston area residents are encouraged to gather their pre-loved soccer equipment for donation to Kicks 4 Kids at Canadian Tire stores and City community centres. This new P.R.O. Kids program will collect gently used soccer cleats and shin pads for distribution to children who need them. P.R.O. Kids is the City of Kingston charity which helps cut the cost of community sports, cultural, arts and recreational activities for children and youth aged 0-18.
“Since 2001, P.R.O. Kids has helped with the soccer registration costs for 740 Kingston children and youth. By providing free access to quality used equipment, Kicks 4 Kids will help make participation in soccer even more accessible.” says Denita Dyck, Assistant Supervisor, Recreation Programs.
Soccer cleats and shin guards are now being collected at the following locations:
* Canadian Tire, Kingston Centre (at Bath Road and Princess Street)
* Canadian Tire, Cataraqui (at Gardiners Road and Princess Street
* Canadian Tire, Division St. (near Highway 401)
* INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
* Artillery Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre, 76 Ordnance St. (enter off Bagot Street)
* Kingston United Soccer club house located at 1121 John Counter Blvd.
* Cataraqui Clippers Soccer club house located at Jim Beattie Park
Cleats and shin pads will be collected at the Recreation & Leisure Showcase on March 31 and a soccer equipment swap will occur at the Get Active Healthy & Safe Fair at the Wally Elmer Centre on April 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Those who need cleats or shin guards should drop in to the Wally Elmer Neighbourhood Centre, 50 MacCauley St., during normal operating hours from April 16 to Aug. 10.
This new initiative builds off the success of The Great Skate Exchange program which has collected and distributed more than 240 pairs of gently used skates through the winter months. The skate donation program will resume again in November 2012.
For more information about Kicks 4 Kids or P.R.O. Kids (www.CityofKingston.ca/PROKids), contact Denita Dyck at 613-546-4291 ext. 1704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release source: City of Kingston | Image source: Wikipedia