A 42-year-old local was arrested and charged after harassing and assaulting a woman he met online.
On January 14, 2017 the victim and the accused began a conversation through a social media dating site. The communication led to the accused and the victim meeting at a residence.
After the first date the two communicated through text messages during which the victim expressed that she no longer wished to continue developing a relationship with the accused.
On January 19, 2017 the accused sent several unwanted text messages stating that he was coming over despite the victim not wanting any further contact. Around 10:30 p.m. the victim was putting the garbage out when the accused suddenly appeared. The accused grabbed the victim by her throat. A passerby intervened and called out to the accused. The accused released his grip, but then grabbed the victim by her shoulder and turned her towards the residence. The passerby approached yelling at the accused to stop and they began arguing. It was at this time the victim escaped the accused grasp and fled into the residence.
On January 20, 2017 the victim confided in a friend and police were called. An investigation into the identity of the accused began.
On January 25, 2017 at approximately 11:10 a.m. the accused was located at his residence and placed under arrest.
The accused was transported to police headquarters where he was held to attend a bail hearing the following day. He was charged with assault and harassment.
For those suffering domestic violence – no one has the right to abuse you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Kingston Police or some of the other valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area:
· Kingston Interval House http://kingstonintervalhouse.com/
· Kingston Sexual Assault Centre – Support Services and Programs http://www.sackingston.com/page-857327
· K3C Community Counselling Centres http://www.k3c.org/WomensCounselling/tabid/119/Default.aspx
· KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) http://kfacc.org/
· Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
· Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington http://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
· Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
· Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/#results:m=TOPICS&q=C4&a=KINGSTON
· Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres http://www.satcontario.com/en/about_sa_violence-domestic.php
Release source: Kingston Police | Photo: Google