KINGSTON, ONT. / Nov. 2, 2010 – Community, Veteran and military groups will be laying their wreaths at the Cross of Sacrifice starting at 9:30 a.m. ahead of the civic ceremony on Remembrance Day. (A listing of City services affected by Remembrance Day observance follows below.)
The Civic Ceremony is set to start at 10:45 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 11, at the Cross of Sacrifice at King and Barrie Streets (by Murney Tower) and will wrap up at 11:15 a.m.
Dignitaries will lay several wreaths during the ceremony. The public is invited to place their poppies on the People’s Wreath, which will be laid during the service by James A. Low, a 2010 recipient of the First Capital Distinguished Citizen’s Honourable Achievement Award (www.cityofkingston.ca/cityhall/mayorawards.asp).
King Street will be closed from Barrie Street to Lower University Street from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. to accommodate the day’s activities.
Kingstonians can also check with their local veterans’ organization or the Royal Canadian Legion for details on other services in the Kingston
For the Remembrance Day Civic Ceremony’s Order of Service go to http://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/recreation/events/november11.asp.
For more about the origins of The People’s Wreath go to http://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/recreation/events/peopleswreath.asp.
CITY SCHEDULES AFFECTED BY REMEMBRANCE DAY
Remembrance Day, Thursday, Nov. 11, is a holiday observed by many municipal workers and will create some schedule changes to municipal services:
* Administrative Offices: A number of administrative offices are closed on Thursday, including those in City Hall, Community and Family Services and Provincial Offences.
* Utilities Kingston: Open.
* Kingston Transit: runs on its regular schedule. Plan your trip using the My Trip Planner at www.cityofkingston.ca/tripplanner or ‘Get Directions’ via the transit icon at maps.google.ca.
* Garbage, Green Bin and recycling: No collection on Thursday. For the rest of the week, collection occurs the day after your regular day.
* Kingston Area Recycling Centre/Kingston East Landfill: Closed.
* Artillery Park Aquatics & Fitness Centre: Closed.
* INVISTA Centre including the Fitness and Wellness Centre: Open.
* Arenas: Open
* Oakwood Day Care: Closed.
* Libraries: Open.
* MacLachlan Woodworking Museum: Closed.
* Wally Elmer Neighbourhood Centre: Closed.
* Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed.
Photo by Ann Douglas