Following is a list of road construction projects and events provided by the City of Kingston that are expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week:
Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians: review the listing of streets and related messages below for travel information of interest to you.
Traffic and pedestrian impacts this week:
* Frontenac Street – Jenkins to Princess – closed until Dec. 2 for construction of an apartment building at 501 Frontenac St.
* Highway 15 – at Highway 401 westbound on-ramp – closed nightly between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. until Aug. 23 for paving maintenance. The ramp will remain open during the day.
* King Street – Brock to Market (if needed) – closed from 8 to 11 p.m. every Thursday night until Sept. 5 for Movies in the Square.
* Limestone City Blues Festival
* Brock – Ontario to King – closed 4:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Aug. 24.
* King – Clarence to Brock – closed 12 to 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 24.
* King – Princess to Brock – closed 4:30 to 11 p.m. on Aug. 24.
* Market – Ontario to King – closed 12 to 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 24.
* Point St. Mark Drive – at Gore – The entrance/exit onto Point St. Mark Drive is closed until the end of the Third Crossing construction. Pedestrian access to the library and dog park remains open as does the sidewalk on the southeast side of Gore Road.
* Queen’s University residence move-in – the following street closures and changes will accommodate the Aug. 31 student move-in. The information below is included in this Queen’s Residence Move-in Traffic Map.
+ Albert Street – Queen’s Crescent to King – will be one-way southbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31 (see overnight parking restriction info below*).
+ Arch Street – at Union – closed 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
+ Bader Lane will be closed for one-way traffic west-bound beginning 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30.
+ Beverly Street – at Union and at King – closed 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
+ Collingwood Street – King to Union – will be one-way southbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 31 (see overnight parking restriction info below*).
+ George Street – at Stuart – closed 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
+ O’Kill Street – at George – closed 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
+ Queen’s Crescent – Albert to Collingwood – will be one-way westbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31 and will be closed at Beverly and Collingwood streets (open to local traffic only).
+ St. Lawrence Avenue – Stuart to King – will be one-way southbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
+ Stuart Street – University to Lower Albert – will be one-way westbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31 (see overnight parking restriction info below*).
+ University Avenue – Union to Stuart – will be one-way southbound 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31.
*Overnight parking restrictions on these streets begin 6 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 30 to restrict parking on key traffic routes ahead of Saturday’s move-in. Courtesy towing has been arranged for any cars remaining on the designated streets the morning of Aug. 31.
* Stanley Street – Landsdowne to Division – closed for watermain installation by Utilities Kingston until Sept. 6.
* Sydenham Street – Princess to halfway to Queen – closed every Saturday until Sept. 7 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. for Sydenham Street programming including Silly Sounds and Sounds of Sydenham.
* Bath Road (westbound lanes) – from 275 metres east of Gardiners to just past Days – expect minor delays and lane restrictions while accessing businesses on the north side of Bath Road while Utilities Kingston crews reline a water main throughout the summer. Expect lane restrictions at the Bath Road and Days Road intersection.
* Bath Road Westbound at Days Road – Right lane closed while crews are working in the area.
* Days Road Northbound at Bath Road – Left lane onto Bath Road westbound reduced to one lane while crews are working in the area.
* Casterton Avenue – Mulcaster to Holland – expect delays beginning Aug. 29 to accommodate milling and paving.
* Cataraqui Business Park – Fortune, Resource and Centennial North – expect delays in this area until early September as crews reinforce the natural gas network to support the expansion of this business park.
* Countryside Crescent – expect delays through Aug. 27 to accommodate milling and paving.
* Gibson and Oakridge avenues – expect delays while Utilities Kingston replaces a water main in the area.
* Jackson Mills Road – Bur Brook Road to 400m south (near the K&P Trail) – reduced to one lane for roadside safety improvements. Both directions remain open.
* John Counter Boulevard – Princess to Indian – expect delays until the summer of 2021 while crews construct a new four-lane road and rail overpass. MOTORISTS: Don’t get stopped on the tracks! Ensure there is enough space on the opposite side before crossing.
* Lakeview Avenue – Henderson to Lenox – expect delays Aug. 27 to 30 to accommodate milling and paving.
* Meadowcrest – Lakeview to Henderson – expect delays through Aug. 30 while crews pulverize and re-grade the road.
* McMahon Avenue – Jane to McMichael – expect delays through Aug. 28 to accommodate milling and paving.
* Seventh Street – Cameron to Alfred – expect delays through Aug. 28 to accommodate road resurfacing.
* Strathcona Park watermain relining – expect minor traffic delays on the following streets while Utilities Kingston crews prepare to reline water mains through the summer:
+ Elizabeth Avenue – from Jane to Avenue Road
+ Jane Avenue – from Kings Gate /Nottingham to Avenue Road
+ McMahon Avenue – from McMichael to Avenue Road
* Sunnyside Road – western limit to 600 m east of Sydenham – expect delays starting Aug. 26 to accommodate road resurfacing.
* Sydenham Road – north of 401 – expect minor traffic delays for water main relining through the summer.
+ Mildred Street – from Sunnyside to Sydenham Road
+ Audrey Street – from Floyd to Jesse
+ Jesse Crescent – from Mildred to the end
+ Floyd Avenue – from Mildred to Sunnyside
Sidewalks and pedestrian pathways
* Bath Road sidewalk construction – from Coverdale to 1917 Bath Rd. – crews will be completing the new sidewalk until late August.
* Birchwood Street – Peachwood to Cat Woods Elementary School – crews will be completing the new sidewalk through Aug. 30.
* Front Road – Bishop to Montgomery – crews will be reconstructing the sidewalk starting Aug. 26.
* Strathcona Park water main project – Utilities Kingston crews are relining water mains and installing new water mains to improve the water distribution system in this area through the summer:
+ Expect localized sidewalk closures on these streets:
o Elizabeth Avenue – from Jane to Avenue Road
o Jane Avenue – from Kings Gate/Nottingham to Avenue Road
o McMahon Avenue – from McMichael to Avenue Road
+ Expect the pedestrian access pathways to be closed in these locations:
o Gretna Green to Indian Road
o Stormont Avenue to Westmoreland Road, through O’Connor Park
Traffic-related links and messages:
- Kingston Transit detours: CityofKingston.ca/BusDetours.
- Daily updates: Follow @CityofKingston on Twitter.
- Ministry of Transportation updates – For bilingual travel information on Ontario highways visit Ontario.ca/511, call 5-1-1 or follow @511Ontario (English) or @Ontario511 (French) on Twitter.
- City’s infrastructure program: CityofKingston.ca/construction.