Following is a list of road construction projects and events expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week in Kingston:
Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians: review the listing of streets and related messages below for travel information of interest to you.
- Aberdeen Street – from Earl to William – closed from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on April 7 for Kids Inclusive Charitable Run/Walk.
- Earl Street – from Division to University – closed from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on April 7 for Kids Inclusive Charitable Run/Walk.
- Elm Street – from Chatham to Alfred – expect a road closure from Monday, April 8 to Monday, April 22 as Utilities Kingston crews work to replace a sanitary sewer to increase capacity in the area.
- John Counter Boulevard – east of Ascot Lane to Cataraqui River – until the Third Crossing Bridge is complete. The area will be fenced off and there will be no access to the water at the end of John Counter.
- Napier Street – from Brock to Mack – will be permanently closed beginning next week.
- Highway 401 – at Highway 38/Gardiners Road – expect lane closures on the 401 until November 2020 and delays of up to 10 minutes nightly from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. on the westbound 401. A new carpool lot will open here Nov. 30, 2019. Ontario highway updates are offered by the Ministry of Transportation.
- Jackson Mills Road – from Bur Brook Road to 400m south (near the K&P Trail) – reduced to one lane for roadside safety improvements but both directions remain open.
- John Counter Boulevard – from Portsmouth to Princess – expect road delays until mid-April while Bell Canada and Utilities Kingston crews relocate the overhead wires in preparation for the next phase of the John Counter improvements.
- Place d’Armes – from Ontario to King – expect lane shifts daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. until June 1 to allow for lifts of roofing materials onto 1 Place d’Armes.
- Strathconna Park watermain relining – expect minor traffic delays on the following streets while Utilities Kingston crews prepare to reline watermains starting April 8 and continuing through the summer:
– Elizabeth Avenue – from Jane to Avenue Road
– Jane Avenue – from Kings Gate Place/Nottingham Place to Avenue Road
– McMahon Avenue – from McMichael to Avenue Road
Sidewalks and pedestrian pathways
Strathconna Park watermain project – Utilities Kingston crews are relining watermains and installing new watermains to improve the water distribution system in this area. Starting April 8 and continuing through the summer:
Expect localized sidewalk closures on these streets:
- Elizabeth Avenue – from Jane to Avenue Road
- Jane Avenue – from Kings Gate Place/Nottingham Place to Avenue Road
- McMahon Avenue – from McMichael to Avenue Road
Expect the pedestrian access pathways to be closed in these locations:
- Gretna Green to Indian Road
- Stormont Avenue to Westmoreland Road, through O’Connor Park
Traffic-related links and messages:
- Load restrictions in effect: Until the end of April, heavy trucks/loads are restricted on City roads, where posted, each spring to reduce damage.
- Kingston Transit detours: CityofKingston.ca/BusDetours.
- Daily updates: Follow @CityofKingston on Twitter.
- Ministry of Transportation updates – For bilingual travel information on Ontario highways visit Ontario.ca/511, call 5-1-1 or follow @511Ontario (English) or @Ontario511 (French) on Twitter.
- City’s infrastructure program: CityofKingston.ca/construction.