Below is a list of road construction projects and events expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week in Kingston:
See the entire 2015-18 infrastructure program at CityofKingston.ca/construction.
Follow @CityofKingston for weather response updates.
Kingston Transit riders: find the up-to-date list of all detours/service alerts at CityofKingston.ca/busdetours.
Ministry of Transportation
- Expect periodic delays and lane closures along Highway 33 from Collins Bay Road to Coronation Boulevard between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. until Nov. 2018 to accommodate construction. Please watch for and follow on-site personnel as they direct traffic.
- Highway 15 at Highway 401 – expect alternating nightly closures of the eastbound off-ramp and westbound on-ramp 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. July 30 – Aug. 3 and Aug. 6 to 10.
- Sydenham Road at Highway 401 – expect the eastbound off-ramp to be closed 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. July 30 – Aug. 3 and Aug. 6 to 10.
Construction Road Closures
- King Street will be closed from Clarence to Johnson from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to allow a crane to lift a cooling unit onto a roof.
- Division Street will be closed from Brock to Queen until early September. The intersection of Princess and Division will remain open.
- Sunnyside Road will be closed from Sydenham Road to McIvor Road until 3 p.m. on Friday, July 27 for culvert replacement and drainage improvement.
- Expect delays in the area of King St. West in Portsmouth Village until the end of August for Utilities Kingston’s annual gas main replacement project. Motorists and pedestrians should expect the following:
+ Eastbound lane reductions on King St. West between McDonald and Mowat
+ Westbound lane closure on King St. West between Church and Mowat. Detour in place on Union Street West.
+ No left turn from King at Mowat onto Union.
+ The north sidewalk on King Street will be closed between Church and Mowat. The south sidewalk will be closed from McDonald to Mowat.
Event Road Closures
Article continues after ad
- Ontario Street will be closed from Johnson to Brock from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, July 29 for the Taste of Kingston.
- King Street will be closed from Clarence to Brock from 7 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 2 for Movies in the Square (Moana).
- Market Street will be closed from Ontario to King from 8 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 3 to 1 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 4 for Rocking the Square concert.
- Sydenham Street will be closed from Princess to halfway to Queen from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Saturday until Sept. 1 for Sounds of Sydenham and other DowntownKingston! programming
Expect delays on:
- Bath Road from Coverdale Drive to Collins Bay Road. This section of Bath Road will be down to one eastbound lane starting Wednesday, Aug. 1 through September to accommodate construction of a bikeway and multi-use waterfront path.
- Bath Road at the intersection of Collins Bay Road from Wednesday, Aug. 1 until Friday, Aug. 3.
- Sydenham Road from Arnold to the new Cataraqui Woods Drive extension until mid-August while crews install storm sewers.
- John Counter Boulevard from Sir John A. Macdonald to Portsmouth until early August while crews finalize the road works.
Road Work Ahead
The City will be working to improve the following road sections from late July to late September:
- Sunnyside Road from Sydenham Road to McIvor Road. Sunnyside Road will be closed through July 27 as part of this ongoing work.
- Unity Road from Battersea Road easterly for 250m
- The intersection of Glenview Avenue and Fay Street
The timing for work on these roads is dependent on weather and includes:
- Full-depth reclamation of the existing road surface
- Grade improvements
- Drainage improvements
- Paving the road surface
A gravel road surface will be maintained throughout construction. Travellers can expect delays as the road will be reduced to one-lane required.
Sidewalk and Pathway Disruptions
Pedestrians may be required to detour through construction or work zones in these areas:
- Princess Street from Barrie to Division.
- Division Street from Brock to Queen.
- The north sidewalk on King Street will be closed between Church and Mowat. The south sidewalk will be closed from McDonald to Mowat.
- Sydenham Road from Arnold to the new Cataraqui Woods Drive extension.
Motorists and cyclists can keep up with where/when repair work is taking place by: