RELEASE — Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds residents to think about fire prevention and safety this Halloween.
“Most importantly, we’d like to remind Kingstonians to always keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children,” says Ted Posadowski, chief fire prevention officer with Kingston Fire & Rescue.
Safety at Home
Never use candles in decorative paper bags or jack-o-lanterns. Instead, use battery-operated lights or glow sticks.
If you absolutely must use a candle, use a tea light in a non-combustible holder and never leave it unattended. Place candlelit pumpkins on sturdy tables or surfaces away from areas that may come in contact with costumes, curtains or other combustible materials. Always keep children and pets away from candles.
Article continues after ad
It is important to never overload electrical outlets with holiday lighting or special effects and to always keep exit doors unobstructed.
Safety while Trick-Or-Treating
The best costumes are fire retardant and reflective. Keep costumes short, and avoid loose clothing and capes to reduce the chance of tripping and to minimize the risk of contact with candles.
Teach children to STOP, DROP and ROLL should their clothing catch fire: STOP immediately, DROP to the ground and cover face, and ROLL over and over to extinguish the flames.
Give trick-or-treaters a flashlight with fresh batteries or glow sticks and refresh traffic safety rules. Be extra careful when driving and accompany children when they go out trick-or-treating.
“We wish everyone a safe and happy Halloween,” says Posadowski.
[Video: City of Kingston]