Now that winter is approaching and more gas-fueled appliances are being used, Utilities Kingston has issued a number of gas safety tips to the community.
Due to the dangers of gas leaks, an odourant – mercaptan – is added to the otherwise odourless gas to give it a strong ‘rotten egg’ smell.
To ensure its customers are familiar with the scent, Utilities Kingston is offering its customers a scratch-and-sniff sticker to experience it first hand.
“Modern gas appliances are very safe and are installed by specially trained and licensed contractors,” said Nancy Taylor, Utilities Kingston vice president. “But you should know that a rotten-egg smell could be a sign that something is wrong. Know how to react if you smell rotten eggs, or if you hear your carbon monoxide alarm go off.”
You can request a scratch-and-sniff sticker by emailing: email@example.com.
Utilities Kingston – which has been providing gas services to the community since 1847, when it was known as Kingston Gas and Light Company – issued a number of other natural gas safety tips in a release:
Report gas smells or “hissing”:
• If you are inside and smell gas or hear hissing, leave immediately. Do not do anything that could create a spark – don’t switch a light on or off, and don’t use cell phones or lighters, for example.
• If you are outside, clear the area and do not use lighters or start vehicles.
• Indoors or out, call 613-546-1181, ext. 2151 when you are safe.
Install and obey carbon monoxide (CO) alarms:
• CO is an invisible, odourless gas that can kill you in high concentrations.
• If your CO alarm goes off, immediately evacuate all occupants (pets, too!) and call 911.
• Ontario’s Fire Code requires alarms near all sleeping areas in homes with fuel-burning appliances, such as furnaces, stoves or fireplaces. It also applies to all residences with attached garages.
For more details on natural gas and its safe use, visit the Utilities Kingston Safe Fuel page.