Visit Kingston announced today that Paramount series “Mayor of Kingstown” and Amazon’s “Reacher” will film in Kingston in the spring/summer of 2021 and both are seeking background extras.
As we reported in January 2020 (and since updated), “Mayor of Kingstown” was created and will be executive produced by Taylor Sheridan and Kingston born and raised Hugh Dillon. Sheridan is an Academy Award nominee and co-creator of the hit Paramount Network drama “Yellowstone”, starring Kevin Costner and featuring Dillon as Sheriff Donnie Haskell.
The show is summarized as: Set in a small Michigan town where the only industry remaining are federal, state, and private prisons, “Mayor of Kingstown” follows the McClusky family, the power brokers between the police, criminals, inmates, prison guards and politicians, in a city completely dependent on prisons and the prisoners they contain.
“Mayor of Kingstown” will star actor Jeremy Renner, who stars in the Avengers film franchise as ‘Hawkeye’.
The show has parallels with Dillon’s hometown of Kingston, historically known for its penitentiaries, particularly before the closures of the Prison for Women and Kingston Penitentiary where both upcoming shows will be filmed.
Kingston was also named “King’s Town” or “the King’s Town” in 1787, in honour of King George III, before being shortened to Kingston the following year.
The upcoming Amazon show “Reacher” is based on the Jack Reacher series of novels by author Lee Child – a character many will already be familiar with through the two Tom Cruise films also based on the character.
The show stars actor Alan Ritchson, known for his role as ‘Hawk’ in 16 episodes of the DC superhero series Titans that likewise filmed an episode at Kingston Penitentiary back in August 2019.
Fans of the sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine will also recognize the actor for his portrayal as young Scully in the 80s throw-back episode (season 6 / episode 2).
Kingston Penitentiary is now home to the popular Kingston Pen Tours as well as a film location in recent years for Margaret Atwood’s Alias Grace, Star Trek Discovery, Murdoch Mysteries and music videos from Hugh Dillon’s band Headstones that include Leave It All Behind and Dimes And Pennies.
The following details regarding background extras for both shows were provided by Visit Kingston, where additional information can be found:
THE MAYOR OF KINGSTOWN
- Seeking men and women of all ethnicities, 18+ years of age, to play prison inmates
- Looking for “rough and tough” appearances
Rate of pay:
- $14.25/ hour (Actra members will be paid the daily contracted fee as per IPA)
- Work dates are offered on a weekly basis, so availability is key
- You must be available for COVID-19 tests (provided by production, you will be paid 2 hours work for those)
- Shoots are Monday to Friday – you may be needed some or all of those days
- A general work day on set can range from 8 hours to 14+ hours
- If you say yes to a day of work, assume you cannot schedule anything else that day
- Start times and wrap times vary from day to day. You will always receive your “Call Time” (start time) the evening/night prior to your work day via email
- Tattoos are fine but you must provide a letter or email of clearance from your tattoo artist (tattoos may need to be covered if this is not possible)
- Only those that fit the desired requirements will be contacted
- If selected, you will be contacted by the end of April
How to apply:
- Please email a current selfie (picture) that best represents you and include your name, telephone number, and email address.
- In the email, please include your measurements: height, weight, waist, shoe size
- Apply directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Male performers only. Looking for men over the age of 18. BIPOC, (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) and Caucasian performers
- Residents of Canada and/or men with work visas are eligible
Rate of pay:
- Full days include a one-hour non-paid boxed lunch
- Filming: Monday, May 3
- Scenes will be shot throughout the day within the prison’s interior cells and outside in the exterior prison yards. Required for some scenes: shirtless/tank tops
- Shooting hours: vary in length from 8 to 14+ hours. Start times vary. You need to be available all day and evening for your shooting production days
- COVID testing is mandatory by production team. This will happen in Kingston (date, time, and site to be determined)
- Strict COVID-19 protocols will be in place: wear double masks at all times unless actual on-set filming is occurring; two-metre separation between all people unless on-set; sanitation stations will be set up and must use when moving from place to place
- Tattoos: visible tattoos are fine. A picture must be submitted to the email below with a letter of email clearance from the tattoo artist. (Tattoos may need to be covered if this is not provided)
- COVID-safe snacks (packaged) will be provided. Bring your own snacks and water bottles
- You will be notified by the casting office personnel for further information
How to apply:
- Your full name, age, address, telephone number, and email address
- Head and full body photo shots (required)
- Tattoo clearance letter or an email attached from the artist
- Height, waist, chest measurements and shoe size
- Apply directly to: email@example.com
Additional information about the productions is not available at this time and comment/interviews about these casting calls or the productions will not be granted.